Friday, October 07, 2005

Confused: Back Raglan Decreases

I just finished casting off 3 stitches at the end of 2 rows and am confused about the directions for the raglan decreases.

In the Sept 30th translation it says that the 8 row repeat should be done over 63 rows. But, where are the additional 23 rows coming from?
1) *4 rows up, bind off 1 stitch, two rows up bind off 1 stitch, and another two rows up bind off 1 stitch.* Repeat these rows (* to *) 5 times. (I think this has to mean 5 repeats total, not 1 + 5 repeats, because of the way the numbers work out later, see below)This whole section should last 63 rows, right? (making # of godron stitch rows total after these decreases 99).

Sorry, for all the confusion. I hope my post makes sense.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jess said...

I can confidently say right now I have no idea where 63 came from. I have to run right now, but I'll take a look at it tonight. It's probably just a mistake. ah, the fun of translation!

(if it's any consolation, my back is complete and it's right according to the schematics).

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

ROW MATH (this is how it worked out for me on my completed back piece)

36
+ 2 (initial bind-off)
---
38
+40
---
78
+18
---
96

I think there may have been a couple of additional rows for the final bind-offs, but that's the math for the raglan increase, I think (can anyone confirm?)...

63? NO idea where that came from, actually. I deleted it from the post!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Ha. Okay, got that. Only now I have another question. When I am supposed to decrease every other row, does that mean decrease on every other row on each side, or on every other side?

Now if I can get the tendonitis in my thumb to let up a bit I will get this back done.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Lara, I'm getting ready to start the raglan decreases and have looked at the translations and the discussions re the translation. I think that the decreases are meant to match each side - makes sense anyway - so decrease Each side every other row. (otherwise you end up with a stairstep) That's how I read it.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

yes, decreases should mirror each other. during the "decrease every other row" section, you will actually decrease one stitch at the beginning of every row.

I've been thinking over how to communicate this effectively in a pattern translation for the first set of decreases, but haven't yet been able to do it non-confusingly.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home