Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Translation Pt. 1

SIZES
(1) 4/6 (2) 8/10 (3) 12/14 (4) 16/18 (5) 20/22

YARN
...

NEEDLES

3.5mm / US 4

NOTIONS

2 stitch markers (?)
3 27mm buttons

STITCHES USED
- Cotes fantaisie (see diagram)
- Pt. fantaisie no. 1 and no.2 (see diagrams)
- "Godron stitch": 2 rows of reverse stockinette, 2 rows of stockinette; keep repeating these 4 rows
- Simple decreases 5 stitches from the edge: Proceed in pattern until 7 stitches remain, k2tog, k to end
- Double decreases 5 stitches from the edge: Proceed in pattern until 8 stitches remain, k3tog, k to end
- Stockinette stitch

GAUGE

Important: It is crucial that you choose a yarn that matches gauge (duh).
10 cm = 25 st. and 30 rows of pt. fantaisie no. 1 on US 4 needles
10 cm = 20 st. and 32 rows of Godron stretched length-wise on US 4 needles

BACK
X --> Cast on 1) 104 2) 108 3)120 4) 132 5) 144 stitches. With US 4 needles, knit in "cotes fantaisie" (see diagram), starting with the 1) 3rd 2) first 3) 9th 4) 3rd 5) 11th stitch on the diagram. Work in cotes fantaisie for 12 cm. One of the sections of 4 stitches in stockinette will be at the center of your work.

triangle --> Continue in point fantaisie no. 1 (see diagram) for 14 cm. You will repeat those 16 rows twice, then complete the first 10 rows once.

square triangle --> When the work has reached 26 cm. total, continue in godron stitch... on your first row decrease 1)22 2)20 3)24 4)28 5)28 stitches evenly across the work. 1) 82 2) 88 3) 96 4) 104 5) 116 stitches remain.

square --> Complete 11cm (36 rows) of godron. Form the raglan: bind off 3 stitches on each side of the work (??), then:

....

Here's where I am so far. I hope this is sort of right. I've placed question marks where I've been unsure. So far my progress looks normal, thank goodness! I'll post photos soon. Hope this helps those of you who are itching to get started!

6 Comments:

Blogger seal said...

Thanks! I started trying to transplate myself yesterday. Considering I don't speak a word of French, I think I was doing ok. But I was getting hung up on abbreviations and grammar. I'll follow along with you and see how it goes.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Wow, thanks for the translation...What yarn is everyone using?

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you. i am obssessed with this pattern and translating it did not, i repeat, did not go well at the suggested freetranslation.com. knitting is far beyond the scope of the 'free' section. `i look forward to further posts and hope to help although my rudimentary french is hopeless.

12:23 PM  
Blogger seal said...

I bit the bullet and bought 12 skeins (for the 2nd size) of Knitpicks Merino Style in Harvest. I liked the color in the picture so I was trying to match that. I hope I like it, and got enough. Based on others' comments, I'll trying swatching with both 4 and 5 needles.

I got through my first pass at the translation. It's not too clean so I hope folks who are better with French can help.

Can anyone explain the 1x1 m, etc. notations?

What does "ts" and "fs" mean? encol.? ch.? recontituant? Entretemps? coloris? suffria? parties?

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merci pour l'anglais. Since I pretty much duplicated your work before I saw your post, why don't I assign myself the rest of the back, and the front (with the caveat that I won't get to it till Friday)?

Also, I have indeed ordered Merino Style in Moss. Having already bought one skein in some indulgence months ago. I swatched with it (in the actual stitches! whoa) and it worked out well (with size 5s). Stitch definition is nice, softness is nice, sweater for under $30 is way nice.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Merino Style! I've heard it's really nice, and that's a great color. Can't wait to see it - please post photos!

Anyway, as to translation, I'll probably have completed more of the back by Friday - why don't you just check back on the blog when you're ready to translate and pick up where I've left off by then?

:-) jessica

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home