Friday, October 28, 2005

Finally on track!

Yesterday I finally got the finest yarn I could afford (I really wanted a merino blend, but I got a nice enough superwash wool instead) and got down to business, probably just in time to watch you all finish. I'm starting to realize that I will have to make it longer than what the pattern suggests, since I'm too tall for regular sizes, but that won't be a problem. What bothers me a bit is that I don't have the right gauge, heightwise. In stockinette, which I think would be equal to a stretched godron, I get about 26 instead of the 32 recommended. It's not a problem now, and I think the pt fantasie will be OK, but what happens when I get to the raglan shaping? Is there anyone else who shares my problem?

2 Comments:

Blogger miastick said...

Hi! I looked up Pure Laine (the recommended yarn), and the gauge for stockinette stitch with needles 3,5 is 21 st x 30 rows is 4 x 4 inches. So perhaps you'd want to change needles to get the right gauge.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

Hi Linster. It's great that you are getting started. As far as the row gauge, I'd swatch the godron before deciding anything - it doesnt' act anything like stockinette or reverse stockinette, more like a horizontal rib.
And unless you are really long from the bustline to the neck, you won't need to change the raglan shaping at all - just add length between the end of the fantasie and the beginnning of the raglan shaping. I added about 1 1/2", I wish I could say it was intentional, but Not, anyway, I'm glad I did. I'm 5'9 and it is just right with the added length there.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home