Sunday, October 09, 2005

raglan shaping, bind off or decrease?

Finally I'm getting to the raglan shaping - getting around to knitting it that is.
So, is there a reason that anyone can see that the edge is bound off rather than shaped with decreases? I've never shaped an armhole strictly with bindoffs, so I checked several other patterns I have here, and they all call for decreases after the initial several stitch bind off, not bind offs all the way up.
I'm inclined to decrease at each end of my 'every other rows' shaping rows, rather than binding off every row, for seaming purposes if for no other reason.
also, I ended up graphing it for my size, just to make sure the math worked, and it did ;)
thanks Jessica.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the rationale for binding off is (1) that you will eventually be knitting a separate collar to be seamed on, and the rough edge won't show (if you look very closely at the cover of the issue of Irlandais, you can see the seam - this took me ages to figure out!), and you'll also be picking up the stitches at the shoulder and knitting a ribbed edge and (2) because of the ribbed edge and texture of the godron, it might add one-too-many design elements to have a visible decrease line. But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it this way if you prefered that method. I myself thought the binding off was a bit ugly and cumbersome.

I'm glad the math worked: yippee!

9:34 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

what is (a) godron?

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godron stitch is one of the stitches used in the pattern. There's an explanation in one of the earlier entries translating from the French.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm planning on using decreases, but because it will be in Godron, it won't be visible (ie if it's a purl row, p2tog, if it's a knit rown, k2tog). I think that will work best (that is, if I ever have so little schoolwork to even get to the raglan!)

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home