Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Brain Freeze on Raglan Decreases

Everyone's back decreases look great, and I'm trying to catch up but am totally stumped. I am doing size 1 and have gotten to the "bind off one stitch every other row 9 times (9 bound off over 18 rows)" At first I was confused b/c every other row would mean decreasing on only one side of the sweater. Reading through the sept 28th post, someone suggests to decrease one stitsch on *each* side every other row. But if that is done over 18 rows, won't that be decreasing 18 stitches over 18 rows instead of 9?

All suggestions welcome !
Chris

4 Comments:

Blogger Marji said...

HI Chris,
Yes, the direction should be to decrease 1 stitch Each Side every other row a total of 9 times, which is a total of 18 decreases over 18 rows. Binding off one stitch each row will accomplish the same thing, however you will end up with an edge better suited to seaming and more in keeping with standard sweater technique if you decrease instead of bind off. I think it was Mia who realized while knitting another french pattern that the word for cast on was synonymous with increase, depending on context, and I suspect in this case anyway, that bind off would be synonymous with decrease.

5:40 AM  
Blogger miastick said...

No, I can't take any credit there! Don't know who realized that.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Marji, you have saved my sanity -- many thanks!

7:54 AM  
Blogger katarinaw said...

I've been reading a lot about how you all are going about the raglar decreases and I think I'm gonna do with "regular" decreases rather than real binding off's. I think Marji's right about a better edge for seaming.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home