Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sleevie Wonder

Here's a stab at sleeve math for the smallest size:
(Marji: this should help you, though I don't know what size you're doing...)

58 cast on
+12 increased over cotes fantaisie rib
---
70
-16 decreased in first row of godron stitch
---
54
+ 6 increased in circle portion of godron stitch
---
60
- 6 bound off at start of raglan line
+ 5 increased on one side (??) for the button placket
---
59
-30 bound off on * to * raglan decreases
---
29
-12 bound off on every other row raglan decreases
---
17
- 3 bound off on right side at "A"
- 8 bound off on left side
- 6 bound off on left side
---
0

Looks good to me... anyone else?

As for the pattern translations, I'm pretty sure because the pattern says "tous les 6 rangs et tous les 8 rangs" (tous=every or all) it means every sixth row you increase 1 and every 8th row you increase 1. But then you'd run into problems with row 24 - which is divisible by both 6 and 8. But I'm not sure - perhaps we should ask the french knitalong folks? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I just finished the ribbing portion for my sleeves and admittedly kind of fudged the increasing until I had enough stitches (in fact I left out one round of increases just because my gauge is a little larger). Fudging is not the answer for everyone, but it worked well for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marji said...

Jess, I think you and I were working on this at the same time. My post is timestamped for when I first posted, before I revised with the numbers for each size.
I graphed it, and didn't like what happened to the sleeve shape if the increases were done simulaneously, in other words, on each row 6 and row 8 for size 4, and did like the sleeve shape if the increases were done the way I wrote it. I don't really think in the long run though, it will make much difference in the fit of the sleeve. Either way you do it, all your increases are done long before the end of the pt fantasie no 1, before you decrease for the godron.
i too am at the end of the ribbing on the sleeve, ready to start the cable rib. I've got both sleeves on the needles, so that at least they will be the same.
I may separate them though once I start the raglan shaping so that I don't confuse the heck out of myself trying to mirror image it and account for the button band.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home